Acidity in the Body
From Life Ionizers
The human body creates acid, all day, every day, as a byproduct of metabolism. In addition, acid is introduced into the system through eating and digestion. Many secreted and digested acids are swept away by the blood stream, filtered out by the kidneys, and released from the body in the urine. Other acids leave the body through perspiration. Your body can only process a certain amount of acids, however, so it is possible to overload the system and for the body to become acidic.
The American diet is extremely acidic.
- Meat, including beef, pork, chicken and turkey are acidic.
- Dairy such as milk, butter and cheese are acidic.
- Grains such as rice and barley are acidic.
- Beverages such coffee, tea, and soft drinks are very acidic.
- Fruit and fruit juices contain high concentrations of acid.
- Simple carbohydrates such as potatoes, pasta, and bread contain large amounts of acids.
Acidity in the body is related to disease.
- Acid reflux is a painful condition that occurs when acidic stomach liquid backs up (refluxes) into the esophagus, causing irritation, inflammation and damage to the lining of the esophagus
- High cholesterol occurs when the body produces excessive amounts of cholesterol to neutralize large amounts of acids in the blood stream before they damage living cells.
- Heart disease is the result of a build-up of cholesterol in the coronary arteries that reduces the blood flow to the heart muscle. As stated above, cholesterol forms to product the arterial wall from acidity in the blood.
- Fat is produced by the body to trap and neutralize acidic waste in the body. As Dr. Robert O. Young, author of The pH Miracle for Weight Loss, puts it, "The body retains fat as a protection against the overproduction of acids produced by the typical American diet....Your fat is actually saving your life."
- Inflammatory related diseases such as allergies, arthritis, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, and even stroke are related to low-grade metabolic acidosis.
Drinking alkaline water can help restore the body's pH balance and reduce its acidity.