Responsible Tourism in Thailand
Samahita Retreat’s environmentally friendly policies include:
- Composting food waste.
- Rain water collection.
- Use of solar panels for heating water.
- Use of recycled grey water for gardens.
- Use of biodegradable cleaning and laundry supplies.
- We provide and sell biodegradable body products for our guests.
- Our shop sells local and handmade natural products.
- We use refillable water bottles and provide mineral drinking water. (No plastic waste).
- The majority of our food is home made.
- We are currently developing our own organic farm on which will grow fruit and vegetables for use at the center.
- We buy fresh, organic and locally wherever possible.
- We are a smoke and alcohol free environment.
- We do not use plastic bags in waste bins.
- We wash bed sheets and linen only on request.
Samahita Retreat’s eco-friendly guest rooms have the following design features:
- Solar-powered hot water.
- Mosquito screens for cross ventilation.
- Energy-saving magnetic key cards.
- Low energy appliances.
- Photo sensor light switches.
- Low-flush water-saving toilet and bathroom fixtures.
- Structured brick-work that minimizes both energy and sound loss.
- Rainwater harvesting.
- There is air conditioning available for guest comfort, however we encourage the use of the fans and breeze from open windows as much as possible.
Samahita Retreat helps to create greater economic benefits for local people in the following ways:
- We provide a kid’s club for the local community and the children of our staff.
- We provide financial support for the children of our staff.
- We offer discounts for local people.
- We try to involving local people in decisions and help to support local businesses.
- We consider local candidates as first priority when hiring.
Samahita Retreat tries to make positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage and to the maintenance of cultural and natural diversity:
- Through our Centered Yoga foundation we plan activities for staff and guests to support our local community by repainting schools, temples and deep cleaning the beach area. Our center is based around yogic principals of caring for one another and non- violence. We also sponsor those in need to access yoga training by offering scholarships for teaching training courses. For more information on our The Centered Foundation please visit:Â http://www.centeredyoga.com/yoga-foundation.html
- We try to provide more enjoyable experiences for tourists through meaningful connections with local people, and an increasing their understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues.
- We help visitors to Thailand to reconnect with living naturally and finding inner peace within themselves. Our founder draws upon his time learning with Thai Monks in meditation teaching, combining this with yogic practices to help people find transformation.
- We offer a weekly community class where donations go directly to our Karma Yoga projects.
- We support local animal rescue shelters.
- We treat our team with great respect. The guests enjoy spending time with our Thai staff and learning more about Thailand, especially on celebration days such as Thai New Year, Songkran.
- We always consider local candidates as first priority when hiring.
Samahita Retreat welcomes guests of all abilities. Those with special needs who may require extra attention can discuss options with reservations.Our team will always endeavour to find affective solutions.
Samahita Retreat contribute to making Thailand a better place for people to live in and for tourists to visit:
There comes a time in the midst of our hectic day -to -day life when we realize that it is time to stop. It is time to take a breakfrom the rapid pace, the clock watching and from constantly running on empty. For many of us, taking a holiday seems like the natural route to relaxation, but after a week of sun bathing and a few too many cocktails we return to work and fall into the same easy patterns of too many late nights and too much stress. A new kind of holiday experience has emerged, allowing the world-weary to retreat into a peaceful setting to learn the fundamentals of yoga, to connect with the breath and rediscover wellness in all areas of life. Samahita Retreat on the tropical island of Koh Samui has long been at the forefront of yoga teaching worldwide, and welcomes guests to come and discover balance, both on and off the mat. Eco-friendly practices permeate Samahita Retreat, with solar panel water heating and all biodegradable cleaning products. Their on-site Samahita Wellness Center provides a range of holistic services from personalized Detox Programs to Ayurvedic massage. So for those looking to rejuvenate and make some lasting changes whether new to Yoga, experienced Yogi’s or those simply looking to enjoy a peaceful holiday environment – are all invited to enjoy this stunning beach front retreat center.